Summer is a time to let loose, relax and grab a cocktail. As a part of a healthy lifestyle, putting booze on the back burner is usually the best idea, but if you are feeling like indulging or are on vacation, then don’t stress it and have a drink or two!
So, you’re ready to start sipping! what types of drinks should you go go for? Drinks without artificial sweeteners. Why? Because they have detrimental health effects. To learn more about the dangers of artificial sweeteners, check out this article, Aspartame: By Far the Most Dangerous Substance Added to Most Foods Today.
Beware of The “Skinny”
There are tons of “skinny cocktails” out there, but you have to be careful when choosing the right one. A lot of them are deemed “skinny” by using diet sodas or other products with artificial chemical sweeteners instead of real sugar. Artificial sweeteners are just cover-ups for lurking toxins, and don’t belong anywhere in our bodies!
How To Identify Artificial Sweeteners
Artificial sweeteners are very sneaky and can appear on your label as many different names. Here are a few of the most common names to look out for:
- Acesulfame potassium
- Neohesperidin dihydrochalcone
- Phenylalanine (A phenylalanine warning can alert you to hidden Aspartame)
- Sweet ‘N Low
Naturally Sweet Cocktails
Here is a great list of naturally skinny summer cocktails that don’t include artificial anything, just fruits, real sugar and garnishes that are naturally low in fat, carbs and calories.
1. Skinny Watermelon Martini from Skinny Mom. (This recipe calls for reduced sugar orange juice. Just make sure to check the ingredients and make sure the juice you choose is naturally cutting the amount of sugar out, instead of substituting it with aspartame to “reduce the sugar”)
2. Southern Style Gin Cocktail by the Realistic Nutritionist
3. Super Skinny Margarita by Family Fresh Meals
4. 5-Ingredient Peach Mojitos by Sweet Phi
5. Skinny Dragonberry Rum Twist by The Novice Chef
Now you can grab a drink poolside and not have to worry about extra chemicals in your cocktails! What’s your favorite summer time cocktail?
Thanks for letting me into your world awhile,
Naturally Nicole XO