It’s in our water, it’s in our toothpaste and it’s in our vitamins. Fluoride. Why? Well, the story today that’s force fed to the general public is that fluoride prevents tooth decay and is essential to our dental health. In fact, The American Dental Association even dotes that fluoride is, “The Superhero Inside Your Mouth”.
If we are constantly exposed to un-regulated amounts of fluoride in our drinking water and in our toothpastes, why do 4 billion people worldwide still struggle with cavities and why do as many as 75% of Americans have some form of gum disease?
Disclosure: I am not a doctor and this post is for informational purposes only and not intended to treat or cure disease. This post may also contain Amazon affiliate links for the convenience of my readers.
What Is Fluoride? Not An Easy Answer
To be honest, this answer isn’t an easy one. A cursory search for what fluoride actually IS leaves much to be desired. Leading fluoride toothpaste manufacturer, Colgate, explains fluoride as nothing more than ” A mineral that occurs naturally in all water sources, including the oceans.”
Well, that’s not even remotely the extent of fluoride.
When I turned to the Centers of Disease Control for help (*smirks*), their explanation of fluoride was just as brief, stating that, “Fluoride is a naturally occurring mineral that protects teeth from tooth decay.” (Source)
These stints of information lead fluoride to appear harmless because it’s “natural” and “occurs” in nature. Well, arsenic is natural and occurs in nature, but we don’t add that to our drinking water.
So what is fluoride?
Fluoride is an acute toxin with a rating higher than that of lead.
According to Clinical Toxicology of Commercial products, 5th Edition, 1984, lead is given a toxicity rating of 3 to 4, and Fluoride is rated at 4 (3 = moderately toxic, 4 = very toxic).
On December 7, 1992, the new EPA Maximum Contaminant Level (MCL) for lead was set at 0.015 ppm, with a goal of 0.0ppm. The MCL for fluoride is currently set for 4.0 ppm – that’s over 250 times the permissible level of lead.
Fluoride used in water fluoridation is also a toxic waste product — which means it contains other heavy metals.
Fluoride is Not Regulated
The most unsettling part about fluoride is that it is consumed by virtually everyone and it’s not regulated whatsoever.
It is added to almost everyone’s water supply in the United States. (97% of the Western European population do NOT consume fluoridated water)
It is not regulated simply because there is no way to know how much water each person is consuming and some people drink a lot more water than others.
The most common question I’m sure we all have is WHY?
Why is Fluoride Even In Our Water to Begin With?
Beware. You’re not going to like the answer.
Answer: Medical Treatment. Surprised? Wait, you didn’t know that we all need medical treatment?
OH yes, apparently we are all being treated. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration) classifies fluoride as a drug used to prevent or mitigate disease. The FDA also claims that fluoride “prevents tooth decay”. I’m sure this is the most common reason that you use fluoride. I am also sure it’s in your toothpaste, as it is in every toothpaste unless otherwise noted.
The unfortunate truth is that it does none of the above. The truth is that high doses of fluoride actually HARM our teeth by causing dental fluorosis. Read more here. Fluorosis is an early sign of fluoride poisoning. The visible signs show that teeth become yellow, brown or black and the tips break off as well as gum damage. (See Photo)
Fluoride poisons enzyme activity and slows down the ability for your gums to repair themselves. It’s inevitable for you too if you continue to use it.
Fluoride Deficiency Does Not Exist
Not one disease, even tooth decay, is caused by a “fluoride deficiency”. Not a single biological process has ever been shown to require fluoride.
Fluoride interferes with numerous enzymes and interferes with signals from growth factors, hormones and neurotransmitters. It can affect our biochemistry in a plethora of fundamental ways.
Harmful Effects Of Fluoride
The other troubling fact about fluoride is that it accumulates in our body. Our kidneys only process out 50-60% of the fluoride.
What happens to the rest? It calcifies our tissues, bones and glands.
- Fluoride is used an an insecticide and a roach killer.
- As little as one-tenth of an ounce of fluoride can cause death
- It is more poisonous than lead and slightly less poisonous than ARSENIC.
- Fluoride in drinking water leads to chronic health issues and disease
- Fluoride weakens immune system
- Lowers thyroid activity (Major reason for the onset of excessive weight gain)
- Breaks down collagen in skin resulting in wrinkles and weakening of ligaments and muscles.
- May cause allergic reaction including dermatitis, eczema and hives. (source)
- Cancer. In 1990 fluoride was found to be an equivocal carcinogen by the National Cancer Institute Toxicology Program. In 1992 further studies by the New Jersey Department of Health confirmed a 6.9 fold increase in bone cancer in young males. In 1997 there were more than 80 references available, linking fluoride to cancer.
- Brain Damage. Fluorides lower the intelligence capacity of humans, with children, again, especially susceptible to early fluoride toxicity. IQ levels were significantly lower than children not exposed to fluorides in all age groups listed. (Source)
Dentist & Doctor Recommended?
Despite the blunt facts about this compound, it is still highly recommended by the American Dental Association and pediatricians everywhere.
The main reason why I decided to look into fluoride was because of my young son. At almost a year old, I was told by our pediatrician to switch to a vitamin that was “enriched” with fluoride. But in the next breath, the doctor told us not to use fluoride toothpaste yet.
I couldn’t imagine how it was safe to administer a fluoride-enriched vitamin, but was not safe for my child to swallow a pea amount size of toothpaste with fluoride. The contradiction fueled my research and I was astounded by the answers.
How To Stop Drinking Poison Fluoride Water
- Drink distilled water or get a really good quality water filter. Big Berkey is an awesome brand.
- Kiss contentional toothpaste goodbye. There are many great fluoride-free toothpastes on the market like Nature’s Gate Natural Toothpaste
or Weleda Childrens Tooth Gel. You can also check out my 100% natural re-mineralizing tooth powder here.
- Avoid beverages like soft drinks, beer and fruit juices from concentrate that have been bottled in fluoridated areas.
- Teas, even brewed in fluoride free water will still contain a small about of fluoride, so I would keep it in close moderation.
- If you want to start getting the stored fluoride moving in your body, take 200mg of Vitamin C per day. In 3-6 months you should have about 99% of it out.
The Dental Health Diet
A good diet, not fluoride, is necessary for healthy teeth. A diet that encompasses the following vitamins and minerals is essential:
- Fermented cod liver oil (for vitamins A&D). I recommend Blue Ice Fermented Cod Liver Oil orange flavor or cinnamon. (Update: After further research, I have changed my recommendations from cod liver oil to algae, read my recent post to find out why)
- High vitamin butter oil (for vitamin K) every day. If you are looking for more of a supplement, try X-Factor Gold High Vitamin Butter Oil .
- Pastured grass-fed butter
- Shellfish and broth
- Foods rich in phosphorous (seeds, fish, nuts, pork, beef, beans)
- Silica. Bones are made up of mainly calcium, phosphorous and magnesium but they also contain silica. Studies show that taking calcium supplements can actually increase bone loss because without sufficient silica, the body cannot make use of the extra calcium. Good food sources of silica include oatmeal, brown rice, bananas, mangos, green beans, spinach. If you’re looking for a supplement, check out Horsetail that is naturally very high in silica.
Clearly, fluoride has no essential need in the human body, does not prevent tooth decay and has many adverse effects on the human body.
If you are looking to dig deeper into dental health and curing tooth decay, give Cure Tooth Decay a read!
Thank you for letting me into your world awhile,
Related articles & References
- Fluorosis photo credit: http://www.nofluoride.com/six.cfm