With warm, wonderful weather also comes the not-so-wonderful bugs. We all want to enjoy the lovely Spring and Summer without telling these pesks to buzz off all the time. So, what’s a natural-minded one to do? The answer first and foremost is to stay far away from conventional bug sprays.
The Problem With Conventional Bug Sprays
Most bug repellents contain DEET (N-diethyl-m-toluamide) as their active ingredient. DEET is known as a pretty effective insect repellents that work and is often recommended to prevent mosquito-born diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, and West Nile virus. The problem? It’s a highly poisonous toxin.
Harmful Side Effects of DEET Containing Bug Sprays
- Moderate to severe stomach irritation
- Hives, redness, irritation
- High Concentration Application Can Include: Blistering, burning, permanent scarring of skin.
- Mood changes like insomnia
- Low blood pressure and heart rate if ingested
- Neurological damage: Patients may have disorientation, clumsiness when walking, seizures, or coma. More common in small children consistently exposed to Deet on their skin.
Yeah, I think I am okay without all of those harmful side effects of conventional bug repellent ingredients. For a safer alternative, I am going to show you how to make a quick and easy DIY bug spray for the upcoming Summer months! This essential oil blend contains rosemary, citronella, lavender, clove, peppermint and Purification Young Living blend. It will smell much nicer than bug spray and you don’t have to worry about all the head-turning side effects.
DIY Natural Bug Spray Made With Essential Oils
• 1/4 cup witch hazel
• 1/2 teaspoon liquid vegetable glycerin
• 5 drops each of these essential oils: rosemary, citronella, lavender, clove, peppermint, and Young Living Purification Blend.
• 1/4 cup water
• Glass spray bottle
HOW TO MAKE IT
- Fill spray bottle half full with water
- Add witch hazel to fill almost to the top (I like Humphrey’s Witch Hazel)
- Add 1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin
- Add 10 drops rosemary, 10 drops, citronella, 10 drops lavender, 10 drops peppermint and 10 drops Young Living Purification Blend. (To learn more about what oils I recommend and where to get them, check out my Essential Oil Page)
HOW IT WORKS
There are a lot of smells that bugs really stay away from, and those include the ones I have mentioned above. If you really despise some of the oils in the mixture, don’t feel chained to using them, however the peppermint, citronella and rosemary are the three oils I would keep to make sure the bugs keep on buzzing far away from you! Also, feel free to increase the amount of essential oils if you need a stronger bug spray.
Now you can have a healthy and safe Spring and Summer free from pesky bugs and mosquito! See you over on my Facebook!
Love & Light,